Monday, January 25, 2016

Learning and applying


I have learned so much, and continue to learn new ideas, strategies and concepts on a daily basis.  In anything we do, we have the opportunity to learn about ourselves.  I have learned so much about myself, as an educator I can better see where some of my strengths and weaknesses lie.  I can see in my recent work, that I strive to push my students to love, and understand math and most often I use a relatible connection to my students' everyday life, and encourage creativity.  I am an avid user of technology in my own personal life, but feel that I could make better and more frequent use of it in my classroom.  Technology is an incredible tool that could be used in the classroom or as a requirement out of the classroom, to be completed at home.  
Teaching is such a rewarding career choice, if the teacher is prepared to accommodate all students in the classroom.  I truly understand the importance of planning, assessing, refiguring a plan and reassessing.  In order to give all students the equal opportunity to achieve the same goals, we as teachers need to prepare for the best and worst case scenarios, and adjust our plans accordingly. I have learned how important it is to teach a number of different subjects and find a relationship that my students will understand.  I can discuss how Leonardo DaVinci used mathematical problems and formulas to create some of his most famous pieces of art, or how many Law inforcement and military branches use mathematical equations to help solve problems that seem completely unrelated.  By teaching interdisciplinary lessons, I would be expanding my students knowledge to cover a far greater range of topics and in doing so appeal to a variety of different learners.  There is so much learning to be done, and each day I enjoy the knew challenges and the lessons that can be learned by mastering new concepts.

1 comment: